Sick of Matzah yet? Hang in there – just a couple more days left! At this time of the holiday I always pull out a special recipe, which was shared by my dear friend EllenSue. This cheesy, spinachy, dish for a crowd is filling and hearty enough to be the main dish in a meal. EllenSue got this recipe from her 89-year-old mother, Esther, who is a famed cook and baker in our community. So, you can see, this recipe comes with credentials…
Hints for success:
- The cheesy goodness of this dish is achieved by using 4 different cheeses: cottage, mozzarella, feta and Munster. So don’t skimp!
- Make sure to squeeze out as much moisture from the spinach as you can: wrap the thawed spinach in a towel and wring out the liquid. Crumble the spinach over the mixing bowl to ensure even distribution.
- Cover the dish after 30 minutes with a piece of greased tin foil – or you will have a sticky mess on your hands when you try to unwrap the pan.
- Cook the dish for the full length of time and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting – or else – again, you will have a gooey mess on your hands…
- Wrap any leftovers – they heat beautifully!
- Let me know how it turned out and enjoy!
FARFEL CHEESE BAKE
For Passover and all year round
- 1 c. farfel softened in hot water (start with this and add everything else afterward)
- 6 eggs
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 oz. feta cheese, grated
- 16 oz. cottage cheese
- 4 oz. grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 T. melted butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
12-14 Slices of Muenster cheese
2 tomatoes sliced into thin circles
Mix all cheeses, farfel, eggs, spinach and seasoning in a large bowl until well combined.
Pour the mixture into a greased 9” x 13” pan.
Top with slices of Muenster cheese and top that decoratively with slices of tomato.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes. When the top is turning golden
brown, cover with greased foil and bake for an additional 15-30 minutes
(Bake for 1-hour minimum).
Cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, slice into squares and serve immediately.